Sunday 8 July 2012

3 km swimming in open water

 





Today was the day of Vansbro Swim, 3km in Open Water. We drove almost 8 hours to get to this tiny little town, Vansbro, which this weekend was the organizer of one of the worlds biggest swim race! And it was impressive how well they arranged the whole event. They didn’t forget one single detail.


It was a very humid day with thunder and heavy rain hanging over us. With only two training sessions in open water and much tensed nerves we jumped in the water at 11am. After about 30 metre it was possible to breathe normal and my body wasn’t in chock because of the 17 degree’s water and I could start to swim. Before we knew it we saw the sign of 2000m left. Already?! I had to speed up because this was way too easy. But I still had to save some energy for the famous last 900metre which is upstream and apparently really tough. The turn and the 900m sign also came way too soon. I had plenty of energy left so I prepared myself for a fast crawl the last 900 metres. The worst that could happen was to cross the finish line with more to give. But all of a sudden it became very crowded and there was no space to swim freestyle. Frustrated I tried to pass as many as possible. But there just wasn’t enough space! So I finished the race after 1,02 hours without feeling the slightest exhausted. What a disappointment.
All praise to the organizer, but the sports performance was under all acceptance.
Thanks to Vivvi and Lina for your company this weekend. Congratulation to Lina who now completed the full Svensk Klassiker!! Very well done. And thanks Vivvi for spreading your positive spirit where ever and when ever.

The kids had a lovely weekend with dad. Not sure what they got up to, but I’m sure there’ll be pictures of that too.

No comments: